The Historic Volkswagen Club was founded in 1974 by a group of enthusiasts, including the current President, whose principal interests lay with the earliest beetles, or "split window" models.
Gradually the club has grown and developed, so that now the objectives are to cater for all enthusiasts, not necessarily owners, of Volkswagen Type 1 models built prior to 1979, to offer advice on the restoration, maintenance and preservation of such vehicles and to liaise with overseas clubs that have the same objectives.
The Historic Volkswagen Club is a national club with members coming from most parts of the country and it is the only body to cater exclusively for early Volkswagen's in Britain. In addition it welcomes members from overseas and has contacts with enthusiasts world wide.
The objects of the Club are:-
- To encourage an interest in Pre 1979 Volkswagens.
- To offer advice to Members on the restoration and maintenance
- To provide valuations for insurance purposes.
- To provide confirmation of vehicle age of Volkswagen vehicles for UK registration purposes.
- To encourage the preservation and exhibition of Pre 1979 Volkswagens.
- To publish and distribute to Members our Magazine "The Historic VW"
- To liaise with other clubs and organisations with similar objectives to our own
- To exhibit and display Pre 1979 Volkswagens at shows and events throughout the country with a view to promoting their restoration and preservation.
- Show your car on the Club Stand in the coming year, click here for more information.
- To source and make available to Members new and second-hand spares, manuals and parts for Pre 1979 Volkswagens.
We offer our members:-
- Four packed editions of the magazine, 'The Historic VW' per year, featuring reports on some of the finest Volkswagen vehicles in the country, restoration projects, VWs at the shows, technical talk, history, letters, free advertising and much, much more.
- Help and advice regarding the restoration, or maintenance, of your six volt VW.
- Discount deals with suppliers of NOS, Genuine and Restoration parts.
- Valuations for Agreed Value Insurance schemes.
- Authentication of vehicle registrations and age for re-registration.
- A meeting point at many of the major shows in the VW season. The shop sells a wide range of exclusive merchandise, unusual gifts and endeavours to acquire the more obscure items required to keep an air-cooled VW on the road.
- An annual meeting geared towards air-cooled vehicles at a venue announced annually.